Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Brief Jikoshoukai (Self-Introduction)

Hey everyone!

My name is Van, and I am a second-year student at Georgetown University, studying international politics and Japanese.  Thanks for visiting!

This blog is mainly intended to be a tool for my own self-teaching.  I'll post more about this later, but in the past two years, I've developed a fascination with Japanese history and Japanese political issues.  It is rapidly becoming one of my biggest hobbies, and recently, I've been wanting to relate my interest in Japan's history with that of its East Asian neighbors: Korea (North and South), China, and Taiwan.  The goal is to link the past to the present, and understand how history has shaped present-day political, economic, and security issues in the region.

In doing so, my main hope is to use this blog to keep track of my own reading, and jot down a few thoughts from time to time.  You are welcome to follow along!  By no means do I have the will or capacity to turn this blog into a book-report, but at the very least, I want to be able to "know what I know," and have a list of the books and articles I've been reading.  To be effective, I have to be able to get a sense for which areas I need to focus on more, and I'll only be able to do so by keeping track of what I have covered already.  In the past, my (unfortunate) inclination has been to read a book, think about it for a week, and then rapidly forget  it.  This time around, my goal is to make as concerted, consistent, and comprehensive an effort as possible to learn more about East Asian issues (believe me, I'm starting from a pretty humble place), so hopefully this will be a good way for me to remember things and chart my progress!

(Note: Again, more on this later, but as I create this blog I am stumbling through my second year of Japanese. So on occasion, as in this post's title, bear with me as I awkwardly throw in references to my fledgling Japanese vocabulary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment